Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why does the choice between Color and Black and White Matter??

Took this shot this morning in my backyard.



Even though they are both EXACTLY the same shot, I'm not sure which way I like them processed. This is where the "Art" in digital photography comes into play.

I processed the RAW image in Lightroom (3.5 because I still haven't upgraded the desktop yet) to get these 2 very distinctly different images. I left most of the base settings the same, but played with the contrast and blacks in the Black and White a touch more.

The color processed has a distinct feel of morning. The dark silhouettes of the trees and buildings blurred into the blue sky with the clouds looking like they are about to burst into fire. The black and white on the other hand, is quite nightmarish with an unusual sensuality. For as dark and sinister as it looks, there is a soft whimsical sensuality. Soft blurry trees against a sky that has soft fairy floss like clouds.

I still don't know which one I like more, but If you have a favorite let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment