Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8.... Bow Down to it's AWESOMENESS

I have just become a "Nikon Nerd" today. Well I have always been a bit of a Nikon Nerd, but I entered the realm of UBER NERD today..
Yerp... I'm now the owner of just over 2K worth of probably the best glass in ALL THE WORLD!

The 24-70mm would have to be best regarded as a "Bread n' Butter" lens for most photographers Pro or Amateur. It covers the focal lengths for 90% of photography done today. Yes you might need a 12-24mm for Landscapes and Indoor Architecture shots; and the boys and girls shooting Sport and Wildlife will want a 70-200mm for those frame filling action works; but this lens will do pretty much anything you could want in between those two "specialty" styles of shooting.

I would argue that you could ask every photographer shooting now and I think almost everyone would say that if they had to choose 1 lens focal length, this would be it.

The nuts and bolts of this lens.. 24-70mm zoom (so on an APSC it would be 36-105mm) at a constant f2.8; 0.38m min Focusing Distance; Nano Coating for less flare (show ya later); Silent Wave Motor Focus; and heaps of other BLAH BLAH and WAH WAH....

So what's the reality... THIS IS FANTASTIC!!! I have owned a lot of stuff over the years, and this makes most everything look like Camel Piss!! This thing pulls your pants down and kicks you so hard in the privates, you ask for another to make sure that was the right thing to do. It is FACE SLAPPINGLY sharp!! I just cant get over it.

_DSC0480.jpg

Just think, if your name isn't Limit or Full your out of focus!!! This lens is INSANE!! OK even I will admit that the Auto Focus is out by about 3-4mm but DAM!!

_DSC0483.jpg

By the time you hit f8, it's in focus edge to edge (pretty much) and PIN SHARP!! 

_DSC0484.jpg

Now you can see just in the bottom right of frame there is just a little bit of Flare. But lets be realistic, im pointing the lens pretty much in the sun behind the cloud!! 

_DSC0487.jpg_DSC0488.jpg

So from zoomed all the way in at 70 or pulled out to 24mm, this lens out shoots anything I think I have seen ever!!

Again this lens is not for the feint hearten, as I said earlier it's going to set you back the better part of 2k. But it is worth EVERY PENNY!! You can forgive the Barrel Distortion and Pincushion (Photoshop will fix it later) because the lens is just SO GOOD!!! SOOOOO clean and crisp, with lovely color and tone. If I had to rate it you would say 4.5 out of 5 just because of the distortion, but that's being pretty harsh.

You can see all my test shots here with a lot more to come..

No comments:

Post a Comment